On Home Ground – Welcome to Grayshott on the Hampshire/Surrey border

Grayshott is in the district of East Hampshire, standing on the border between Hampshire and Surrey, just 46 miles south west of central London. The nearest train station is at Haslemere, four miles away.

The small town has a very attractive assortment of traditional and more modern properties, including several significant period buildings. The National Trust designated this an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which includes landmarks like the Devil’s Punchbowl. Wonderful views across the Surrey Hills and countryside walks all around make this a great place to be.

Devil's Punchbowl
Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty landmark, the Devil’s Punchbowl.

Seven fascinating facts about Grayshott in the district of East Hampshire

  1. Poet Laureate, Alfred Lord Tennyson rented Grayshott Farm in 1866. 
    In 1897, Arthur Conan Doyle moved his family into ‘Undershaw’ near Hindhead, 10 years after he created the fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes.
    ‘Naïve’ artist, C S Lowry spent time in Grayshott.
    George Bernard Shaw honeymooned in Grayshott and in November 1898, he and his wife rented the property which, since 1901, has been occupied by St Edmund’s School.
  2. In 1877, the first shop, ‘Robinsons’ opened at Mount Cottage near Heather Lodge, Grayshott.
  3. On Christmas Day 1886 a temperature of 89° Fahrenheit in the sun was recorded, two days later thick snow arrived!
  4. The Fox & Pelican, Grayshott’s village pub first opened on the 23rd August in 1899. The Bishop of Winchester’s wife did the opening honours. The pub sign was painted by Walter Crane, President of the Royal Academy and one of the most important artists to revive the decorative arts.
  5. On the 12th May, 1900 the local GP, Doctor Coleclough faced accusations of poisoning pet dogs because they barked too much.
  6. On July 29th 1901, Grayshott’s postmaster, William Chapman murdered his wife and child with a ‘carving tool’. He was declared insane and spent the remainder of his life in Broadmoor.
  7. Electricity was brought to Grayshott in November 1901 via works at Hindhead built by J. Grover.
Homes Grayshott Office
Homes Grayshott Office, Headley Road, Grayshott, GU26 6LD